Monday, April 6, 2009

Recap: A rough ending, but unforgettable nonetheless

You've probably experienced some kind of nightmarish delay at the Philadelphia Airport at some point in your life, simply because you live in the area. However, that experience doesn't make it any easier to wait around for transportation home at midnight. The last leg of the Disney trip could be labeled 'disastrous' in all senses of the word.

Sunday evening began ominously in Orlando upon the discovery that one of two flights carrying students would be delayed for two hours. The on-time flight arrived in Philadelphia ahead of schedule, making me, one of its passengers, very happy. But the night was destined to get worse. 

We may have landed at 10:05 p.m., but confusion with the police and airport staff put us back at school at around 1 a.m. As I crawled into bed, students back on the delayed flight struggled with holding suitcases on their laps on the bus ride home, mainly because there was not enough space on the luggage trucks to hold all of their personal belongings. 

And while tucking myself in bed at such an early hour was not ideal, I can't say that I wasn't happy. My memories from the trip were prominent in my mind: my days spent at Disney World's Hollywood Studios, Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom theme parks, as well as the Typhoon Lagoon water park, were unforgettable. The dedication on the part of the music teachers and other chaperones astounded me, particularly when I, along with two other students, fell ill with a nasty stomach virus.

The workshops were talked of by all students who attended, a sure sign that they were both entertaining and educational. The performances showcased all that Conestoga's music department strives to achieve. I can't imagine how the trip could have gone any better, except maybe catching an earlier bus home!

--Liz Bravacos, Staff Reporter 

No comments:

Post a Comment